Bring Science to the Public at Phipps
March 22 - March 24
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens seeks graduate students and other professionals in all fields of science and engineering to participate in a program designed to help scientists communicate their research effectively with the public.
Who can participate?
Graduate students or faculty engaged in scientific study, as well as professionals working in a science-related field. All fields of STEM are welcome!
What does the program entail?
- Take part in a science communication workshop at Phipps. Facilitated by the research and science education department, this learning opportunity is designed to help you develop tools for communicating scientific concepts to the public.
- Under current circumstances, the workshop will be offered in three virtual sessions that each focus on unique skills and background:
- Part One: Jargon Management, Understanding Your Audience, Concise Messaging
- Part Two: Concept Mapping, Storytelling, Interpretive Writing
- Part Three: Strategies for Engaging the Public
After completion of all three training sessions, participants will have the chance to engage members of the public at a Meet a Scientist event at Phipps once public programming resumes on site.
What are the benefits of participating?
- Work with informal education experts to develop your skills in communicating science to the public.
- Network with colleagues from multiple disciplines who are equally committed to sharing their work with the public.
- Share your work with a diverse public audience at Phipps.
The Virtual Science Communication Workshop Series will be offered twice for flexible scheduling:
Series 1: March 15 – 17 | 1 – 3 p.m. EST
Series 2: March 22 – 24 | 3 – 5 p.m. EST
Registration for the Science Communication Fellowship is $10 for each individual session or $25 for the full series. Please complete an application by Fri., March 12 for Series 1 or by Fri., March 19 for Series 2. Registrants will recieve a Zoom meeting link on the morning of the class.
Please note, due to Coronavirus outbreak, many of the conferences are either postponed or cancelled.
Please check directly with the events organizers